Time Management is a Myth
Can time be managed? No It cannot be managed.
Relax you don’t have to manage time. Enjoy life ! according to me Time Management is a Myth.
You cannot make one extra hour more than 24 hours albeit 24 hours does not exist. The definition of management is the process of dealing with or controlling things or people. If we cannot control time or deal with time, then what is all this fad about time management?
So time can never be managed.
- Yet if you can follow my steps you can be more relaxed in life.
- You can do more to your satisfaction and can have more sense of accomplishment
3 MYTHS ABOUT TIME
1. Existence of Time – existence of time itself is a myth. Time does not exist. Time is not a commodity that you can handle stretch, contract, smell taste or touch. Time is more a mental concept. We understand life in relation to tasks, what was done before, what was done after and the gap in between is measured in terms of the concept called time such as seconds minutes, hours days etc. We have universally agreed to estimate time based on solar system, that is earth’s rotation and revolving. In NLP term time is a universal subjective reality
2. Time can be Managed – In fact time cannot be managed. How can you manage something that does not exist? Time is understood only with respect to tasks. Since time does not exist and only task exist we can only manage tasks and not time. It is indeed task management and not time management. If we manage task well, we will manage time well.
3. Time table makes you complete Tasks - nothing can be farther from truth if one will say that scheduling your work in a time table format will make you complete tasks. It is a universal experience that time table is only a reminder of work and is not a motivator to work. It is observed more in breaching than abiding. The reason is human mind is not a machine to work in clock-like precision. We are subject to moods and needs that press on us as we go about doing our tasks. Also in an interdependent world where we co-exist with others at work-place or at home, their needs and demands have to be accommodated as and when they crop up. So we cannot exactly follow the time table we plan for the day. Perpetual alteration is needed as we go about fulfilling the day’s needs.
Focusing on task than worried about time is the mark of time management or to say correctly task management.
- Thief of time
- It is rightly said procrastination is the thief of time.
- “Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today” goes an advice.
Yes; in principle everyone agrees to this, that too when expecting others to do a work for us.
When it comes to our work that we have to do, what sets in is our usual habit pattern called PROCRASTINATION.
“Procrastination is like a disease. It develops slowly, often over a long period of time.”
It can be like an anchor around your neck. We have to learn to deal with it if we are to become effective at whatever we choose to do. You see, procrastination is the breeding ground for incompetence. If we don’t learn to conquer it, we will not maximize our effectiveness and become everything we can be.
Experts have written that only twenty percent of employees reach the level of effectiveness based on individual potential. I believe that procrastination contributes to that negative statistic. Procrastination can drain your energy, affect your attitude and suppress your creativity.
HOW TO AVOID PROCRASTINATION
Nobody procrastinates by choice. Nobody decides to postpone doing tasks. Procrastination happens as a result of a few factors. 5 major factors that causes procrastination
1. Overwhelmed :There is the feeling of there’s never enough time. Feeling overwhelmed with tasks on hand due to perceived lack of ability or perceived lack of resources or facilities. It is more a psychological hiccup The only way is You need to make time or find time; establish priorities that lead to your success by completing tasks.”
2. Unfocussed:There are always so many distractions. People get caught with trivialities and lose oneself in those small insignificant tasks, then suddenly everything becomes urgent. Firefighting happens leading to anxiety worry and stress. “Learn to prioritize based on importance. Attend to things that are in alignment with your objectives”
3. Stressed:I get tired of beating my head against the wall. “Don’t lose your motivation, be persistent – don’t give up. Success may be right around the corner.”
4. Opinion conscious:What will my boss think? What will people say? “Learn to ask for forgiveness instead of permission. If you have thought things through, done adequate research, go for it.”
5. Perfection syndrome:‘It’s better to do nothing than to make a mistake. What I do must be perfect that none can find a mistake’ Lack of confidence. “Believe in yourself. It isn’t a crime to make a mistake. "Good judgment is based on experience and experience is based on bad judgment." (S. Kauffman) A mistake is one of the greatest learning tools known to man.” A mistake is just a missed take.
POSTPONE THE POSTPONEMENT: Procrastination is a waste of time and time is something you never get back once you spend it. Procrastination is the thief of time.The easy way to get rid of procrastination is to procrastinate procrastination.If you feel like not doing something today, postpone that not doing to tomorrow.Procrastination is a case of habit and by regulating habit pattern one can easily get out of the habit of postponement.
PREFERENCE MATRIX: According to Neuro-Linguistic Program, the psychology of success, in the heat of the moment much more than intellectual calculation our inner emotional state comes to fore to influence our response.
VR-Preference Matrix explains our preference to life's work present before us based on our attitude to life situation
Quadrant1 - Must & Dislike :Compulsions are dealt with on emergency basis with great resistance and dislike. Compulsions are urgencies that demand our immediate attention. Urgencies come up normally due to our non-focused lackadaisical attitude to routine and that pushes us against wall. Mandatory tasks that are abhorred or resisted at normal hour emerge as emergencies. We are left with no choice but to attend to them lest the consequences will be severe. There is a lot of tension anxiety worry in this quadrant
Unless otherwise externally imposed our endeavor must be to minimize to the extent possible our stay in this quadrant.
Quadrant 3 –Not must &Dislike: Obligations are due to non-assertion pushed to us which we normally do not like to do yet do it out of self-imposed compulsion.; because we don’t say no we are forced to take up tasks and keep doing them suffering and suffocating internally, waiting for the time or task to be over so that we get out of the rut.
While as a citizen of a nation, or as a member of a society & family, we have obligations to fulfill; yet there we may feel like not fulfilling with dislike for doing. Requests from friends, help and support sought by acquaintance and associates can be declined politely because they may not be a must for us, yet due to lack of assertiveness we may agree with a dislike. We must train to say NO if it’s not a must and feel relaxed to focus on our essential task.
Quadrant 4- Not must & Like :Indulgence happens due to moment to moment survival without plan or forethought. Indulging in trivial tasks with insignificant contribution to growth and development constitutes this quadrant. Indulgence is due to lack of discipline and drive. People indulge in non-essential tasks with great excitement and liking. Leaders and Orbit shifters don’t stay here. People with great sense of sense of responsibility will stay as minimum as possible here.
Quadrant 2 – Must & Like :Commitment is based on involvement and focus. Commitment comes with a great sense of accountability. People who are sincere will stay with commitment. Committed people like the work they do and they do with such an involvement and conviction that it will inspire others to do more, give more.
The key to success for anything you attempt is your ability to commit yourself with a passion.
Commitment with a passion suggests you are someone who would rather take action and make things happen, than sit around and worry about what could happen. Without commitment you become someone who spends as much time avoiding the issue as others who just get it done. Effective people deal with -compulsions on contingency basis, avoid obligations using assertion & discretion, minimize indulgence using discipline, & focus on commitment with involvement. Stay in quadrant 2 to make the best of everything in life
2 Point formula for Task Management :
There are a number of tools and tasks for effective time management or task management
Put first thing first is the famous quote of Stephen R covey. Covey says, “The key is not to prioritize your schedule but to schedule your priorities”
There is the Pareto’s Law that says 80% of result comes from 20 % tasks that are truly essential for the day’s productivity. Proactive people follow this law. Focus on the essentials and delegate or defocus on nonessentials. There is this Parkinson’s Law that says work stretches according to time available. A task that can be done in 10 minutes could be stretched for hours because of enormous availability of time. Reactive people follow this law. Time management or task management is neither filling the hours with work nor filling the work with hours
The 2-point formula
- Can get you more done in less time;
- Can give you extra hours every day;
- Can help you enjoy life.
Formula 1: Meet the emergency: Whatever is pressing demanding your whole attention, meet it till it is finished like firefighting. There is no other way. Do not sit on it. We must get into action with our knowledge and resources seeking support on the way.
Formula 2: Work with a sense of urgency : In the routine that we embark on every day, we must develop the attitude of working with urgency, for example, if a task can be completed in one hour, we must develop the urgency to finish it 45 minutes. This attitude of urgency will tune the mind to remain focused and hooked to the task. Otherwise trivial tasks irrelevant for the objective of the day will sneak in and distract us from the purpose sapping productivity.
This urgency will save us a lot of time and give us a great sense of accomplishment leading to strengthening self-confidence and brightening self-image and increasing our self-worth. Your day will have 48 hours than 24 hours and so you can achieve in less than half the time that is now habitually spent on routine tasks.
TIME indeed is Transform Internally Marvel Externally
Time management is not just a skill that one develops by practice;
Time management is more an attitude that helps you to be productivity oriented and not just activity oriented. Purpose decides the process.
Time Management is more an inner transformation than an external confirmation to some principle.
Only busy people find time for anything.
V RANGANATHAN, Achievement Coach, NLP Specialist, Corporate Trainer, Sales, Coach, Author, Speaker. call: +919840706451; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.vrnlp.com